NY Times Article on Mineral Makeup
Read an article this weekend by Christina Valhouli of The New York Times. Here are the hilights that grabbed me:
- Urban Decay now has a line (called Surreal Skin Mineral Makeup)
- Neutrogena and Physician's Formula also now have mineral makeup lines
- MAC is reissuing its Mineralize line
- Prestige mineral makeup brands now account for 4% of the cosmetics market in the US, which is double from when it first came out
- QVC (cable shopping network) more than 12.5 million units of Bare Escentuals have been ordered since 1998. Since late 2002, QVC sales have increased 217%
- Price Points: Urban Decay and ColoreScience from $28 - $55 for foundation. Jane Iredale is $48. i.d. bareMinerals is $25. Neutrogena and Physicans Formula are around $12.
- The term Mineral Makeup was coined in 1977 by Diane Ranger, the founder of Bare Escentuals who is now the founder and president of ColoreScience.
- Jane Iredale claims the following as her customers: Madonna, Condoleezza Rice and the cast of "The View".