Making pressed powders
Pressed powders are less messy than loose ones, also their colors are more intense and they tend to have a little better staying power on the skin.
To make a pressed powder, you will need:
- Some kind of powder to press (some blend that you have created for eye shadow, foundation or blush)
- A binder of some kind (recipes below)
- Something to press into (you can press into a small jar, or in to a compact or a cosmetic tin)
- Something to press with (you can use your thumbs, a coin, or something more sophisticated which you make up.
- 2 parts dimethicone, 2 parts fractionated coconut oil, 1 part jojoba oil
- 1 part dimethicone, 1 part fractionated coconut oil
- 1 part dimethicone, 1 part jojoba oil, 2 parts alcohol.
You will use about 10-15% binder to 85-90% color. Said another way, 1/2 teaspoon binder to 1 tablespoon powder. You want the powder to be damp and pressable.
Once the ingredients are mixed together, spoon them into their container and press. I suggest you cover the surface of the powder with some plastic wrap and then press with something firm such as your fingers, or a coin wrapped in plastic. If you really get into it, you can come up with your own devices using c-clamps and other hardware.
TKB Trading, LLC