Preservative Cap-5 is broad-spectrum preservative is a paraben-free and formaldehyde-free product which preserves against a variety of bacteria, yeast, and mold It is miscible in water-based products and is recommended for those products in particular. It is also dispersable in many oils.
In Lotions, Creams and Similar:
Cap 5 is particularly recommended for lotions, creams and similar. It disperses in both water and oil phase ingredients and so is appropriate for all kinds of lotions, creams, shampoos at a recommended use level of 0.5 - 1.5% by weight.
In a Pressed Powder:
We recommend you add the preservative to the liquid binder you are using (such as jojoba oil, fractionated coconut oil, a silicone blend, our MyMix Liquid Binder) at a use level of 0.1% - 0.2% by weight. You do not need as much preservative in a pressed powder simply because there is no water phase in a pressed powder. Also, as this preservative is based on the alcohol Phenoxyethanol, there is a chance of irritation if used in pressed eye shadows.
In a Loose Powder:
In theory you could add the preservative at a use level of 0.1% - 0.2% by weight so long as you are using a LOTof grinding, but in home use the concern would be not enough mixing which results in preservative "hot spots". It is better if you mix the preservative with a little jojoba oil or similar and then add this product to your loose powder. In this way you reduce the chance of hot spots. Note that adding an oil or similar wetting agent to a loose powder is often a good idea anyway, as it keeps the dusting down. Finally, as this preservative is based on the alcohol Phenoxyethanol, there is a chance of irritation if used in eye shadows.
In Lip Products:
When using Cap 5 for the first time be sure to test with a small batch. Do NOT eyeball or guess the amount you should add to your formula or else you may accidentally add too much and experience a tingling sensation.
Normally on lip products, and depends on the water level in your formula (if there is any), 0.8-1.0% should be sufficient in preserving your product. Read this article for more information.
In all cases, shake well before adding.
- The Caprylyl and Hexylene Glycols are the liquid carriers. They are there simply to disperse the active ingredients.
- Phenoxyethanol (35-45%). This ingredient is a bactericide preservative.
- Potassium Sorbate (8 - 15%). This ingredient is an anti-fungal and anti-microbial agent that converts into sorbic acid at low pH.
With all these ingredients above combined, TKB's Preservative Cap-5 helps to prevent bacterial growth in your finished products and gives them a longer shelf life.
!!! Warning !!!
- May causes serious eye irritation.
- Obtain special instructions before use.
- Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.
- IF SWALLOWED: Call a poison center/doctor if you feel unwell.
- IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water. Get medical advice/attention.
- IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Get medical advice/attention.
- Store in a well-ventilated place. Keep container tightly closed. Keep cool.
- Dispose of contents/container with regards to State/Federal/Local Regulations.